Who Else Wants to Master Modes on Guitar?

Originally published at: https://www.guitarhacks.com/who-else-wants-to-master-modes-on-guitar/

I hope everyone is having a great Summer!  By far, the most requested topic I have been asked to cover is scales, improvisation and how to master modes on guitar.  I’m just now putting the finishing touches on a whole new course on those topics! The course is almost ready, put your email below to…

13 Likes

Kiko is nearly done on recording a new Guitar Hacks course on scales and modes!

We can use this thread to share ideas and comments, we can still influence the content of the course if there’s anything you would like to see in particular,

3 Likes

Follow this link back to the blog and leave your email if you want to be notified before the course opens publicly.

1 Like

Hello! Great I think it would really interested me. What is difficult for me is to choose the chords that will make my solo sound more like this or another mode. Its to make the link between chords and modes ! (Hope you’ll understand m’y Bad english :laughing:)
Well I think whatever Kiko will do it will be really interesting ! looking forward to hear about it.

3 Likes

Count me in…always a mystery to know which mode will fit and where on the fret board to utilize it.

2 Likes

That’s not bad English, Caroline. This is Bad English:

7 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:thank you :joy::joy:
:studio_microphone::microphone::notes::guitar::guitar::guitar:

2 Likes

Great ! It’s going to be awesome :grin:

1 Like

Hi, I have a question. If I register to be part of the Modes course, will I have access to the other Guitar Hacks courses or will I have to wait untill they reopen their camp and then register? Thanks in advance, looking foward to be part of the community! Cheers!

1 Like

This would be amazing, another tool that can expand knowledge to create songs or understand the covers we love to play to so we can improvise with the right mode/escale. They way Kiko explains is so clear and funny that is really motivating because you know you will actually learn. Thank you Kiko, looking forward for this new material!!

3 Likes

Welcome to the community @vicente.augusto!
Good question, the modes course is a standalone course so you will have to wait until the technique course (Kiko’s Complete Guitar Workout Strategy) re-opens later in the year.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum @danicc777 as well!

1 Like

Hi Giorgio, Great news about the new course!

Here are some suggestions:

1. include chords or chords progressions that the scales can be used with. This will allow the learner to immediately apply what they learn in a musical context. Scales and mode diagrams are everywhere online. The chords and chord progressions that they work with are harder to come by. For example, personally I know the Harmonic minor scale quite well but I have no clue what chords it will work with. I can’t even put together a chord progression to showcase the scale.

2. Create a demo solo etude or some licks for each scale/ mode. Perhaps Kiko starts a solo with his phrasing to get us started then we finish it…thus applying what he taught us.

3. Assign an end of course project. For example, Write a simple chord progression and solo for your favorite mode that you learned. The project enters you into a raffle. One lucky person wins a private 1 on 1 zoom coaching clinic with Kiko!:sunglasses: He listens to “you” play and then evaluates you. Guitar coach Kiko! Ex. Kiko says “Your legato is great but your alternate picking starts to lose synchronization…try this exercise to help…play slowly along with me.”

4. A play along structure incorporating Kikos practice routine that we learned in Guitar Hacks 1. Kind of like a follow along exercise video complete with on screen timers etc. Round 1 slow tempo, Round 2 medium Round 3 fast.

1.Fundamentals 10 min
2. Pomodoro 5 min
3. Out of the Box 10 min
etc.

Just some ideas

Merci Mille fois
Brian

5 Likes

Thanks @clomusic, these are great suggestions, the assignment followed by a raffle sounds pretty interesting. I am sure people would love a chance for a private 1x1 with @kiko.

4 Likes

please let me know when its ready Kiko!!!

3 Likes

Thanks!! Great ideas!! I will try to incorporate those in the course

4 Likes

Hi

I am interested in mode course. Especially if it does include :slight_smile:
-applying modes in rhythm section
-blending modes over a chord progression or over a static vamp

Thank you

Best regards

3 Likes

I would like to see phrasing as well, and maybe tone tips from apps and amps and how to tie in leads from a melody to a overall song. For example, where to put in a lead, when not to, should the song even have a lead? etc.

3 Likes

I’d love to learn how to apply the modes for lead work over chord changes.

2 Likes