Welcome! Introduce yourself here!

Hi All,

35, from Budapest, Hungary. Don’t know where to start, really, I’m kinda intimidated… :slight_smile:

Been around guitars since 15, but unfortunately in the middle of it all was a 9 year awful period in my life where I only regressed due to erroneously shifting my priorities and thus losing a huge amount of precious time.

Some personal rock-bottom moments led me back to guitar and music in general, so in the last 3 years or so I’ve decided that even though the career I chose does not make happy at all and would chose music or lutherie if I had the chance to re-do things, I can still become a cool player - work is only 8 hours, so there’s 16 left each day to do things that matter to me and make happy. My biggest obstacle is myself: OCDish attude (“Why bother moving on when I still don’t have xy technique down to 120%?” etc) and overall bad practice habits due to wanting to improve so badly, not to mention extreme lack of confidence when it comes to my playing. The latter is particularly mind boggling, because I know that if I could listen to myself playing like 5 years ago and today, I’d say that the two players are at least two leagues apart, yet I still feel ashamed when making mistakes.

Also, it took quite some time to realize how many and how huge holes I have in my fundamentals and it was extremely hard to admit that there are things that I cannot shun and despite being able to play some cool(ish) stuff, I need to (re)learn stuff the proper way, completely deconstruct my playing, go back to almost ground zero and build it up again. Not to mention ear training and theory… I was always fascinated by music, but when I wanted to learn, most everybody told me that I shouldn’t , because I “don’t have ears for it” and as a kid I believed them and kept thinking that those who can play an instrument or understand theory are of some alien breed. In reality it was just a case of not being exposed to proper stimuli. No bodybuilder gained muscle without pumping iron, right? Now I know that those ears can be trained and work on it every day.

I feel like this program finds me in the right mindset and look forward to defeating myself and becoming a “cool player”.

Music wise, my taste is quite broad, from Bill Evans to Black Metal. While I love many players like Kiko, Friedman, J.Becker and countless others, my latest and actual obsession is Dave Davidson from Revocation. In my eyes he is the archetype of a modern, metal oriented all around player.

Sorry for talking too much…

8 Likes

Welcome @nexion218 and thanks for this detailed intro,

This is a great analogy, welcome to the forum!

3 Likes

Welcome! Hope you enjoy your ‘stay’ here :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hello everyone!
My name is Austin Cox. I have been playing for 14 years, went to college for music composition, and have been playing in bands for 8 years. My most comfortable style is metal, but I love playing classic rock, ambient music, jazz, classical, and making music with synthesizers too.
My favorite gear I have been using recently are my Schecter Baritone guitar and my Ibanez Prestige RG652. I also have a Mooer GE300 that I love. It sounds great and is really great for recording and having many different tones saved in one place.
Some trivia about me: I am left handed and a lefty player (kicking myself for not learning right handed though haha) and I love video games! Specifically, Nintendo games and PC shooters, racing games, and action adventure games.
Nice to meet you all, very excited to be part of this community!

5 Likes

Hi @fretzonfire, welcome to the community!

Hello everyone,
My name is Ted ONeill, I play guitar in a death metal band named Oblivion. I have been around heavy music my whole life and started playing guitar in 1983. I had the great fortune of watching and being a part of the early Bay Area Thrash scene back in the early 80s. Who would have thought in 2020 heavy music would have taken so many amazing and advanced forms! I had a 20 year layoff from roughly 1990 to 2010 ish. I’d say guitar playing is my favorite hobby and even with a very full professional life something that I endeavor to carve out time for everyday.
I primarily play 7 string guitars and have been endorsed by KxK Guitars and Rhodes Amplification. Excited to be a part of this community and look forward to seeing this page develop.

8 Likes

Hi everybody
My name is Marco Muñoz im from Chile i’ve been playing for like 10.15 years. at first just playing as a hobby to play the songs that i like and solos that i found cool but like a year or so i start to take it more serously like something that i relly want to explore and learn. I listen metal in general but more power metal and neoclasical though lately i’ve been listening more instrumental.

As far in gear i dont have a lot just an ibanez gio and a vox amplifier really want to buy an ibanez 1570 though.

Really happy to take part in this forum and meet people with common likes.

6 Likes

I am shity and frustrated guitar player but find the approach in these videos very helpful. Again I have drive and creativity inspiring me to play. Very grateful for this course. Hopefully I will be decent maybe a great guitar player

6 Likes

Hi, hacker friends!

I’m Alco - it’s great to be here.

I’m originally from Puerto Rico, lived 6 years in the San Francisco Bay Area, and now live in Mexico City.

I mostly listen to metal (progressive, symphonic), but enjoy rock/jazz fusion.

I move often, so I don’t have that much gear. The guitar I always keep around me is an Ibanez JS24p. My rig is entire mobile (in the box), and I use it for both recording and live settings.

Even though I’ve been doing technology stuff for over 25 years and only recently started releasing music, in the back of my mind I’ve always wanted to be a professional musician.

5 Likes

Hi everyone!

I’m Andre Assis, I live in Ohio but I’m from Brazil. I’ve been living abroad for over 10 years now. I’ve been playing guitar for about 20 years but I really evolved for the past 10. I’m excited to get back into studying.

I’m a long time Angra and Megadeth fan. I love metal in general, the likes of Ozzy, Van Halen, Dream Theater, Iron Maiden, etc. Other types of music that I also really enjoy are Bossa Nova and Classical.

My current gear is a Jackson RR3 that I’ve had for over 20 years now and I’ve modified it quite a bit. I also have a Fender Strat American Special also modified. My amp is a Blackstar HT-5 and for effects I use a POD HD500 plugged in the effects loop.

Something that people may not know about me is that I’m a fan of Spice Girls.

I’m looking forward to becoming part of this community.

Andre

5 Likes

Hey! Joe here. Using Kiko’s GuitarHacks practice routine for a couple months now. Making nice progress. Looking forward to this course to help me improvise better. Thank you Kilo!

3 Likes

That is a confession that takes HUGE balls! :wink: :smiley:

2 Likes

Hello all, greetings from Chicago!

2 Likes

Hi my name is Ron
Looking forward to interacting with you all.!!
I grew up listening to all kinds of music but my passion is metal. My main influences include all the heavy rock and roll bands from the 60’s on. I know it covers a lot but one can extract something from every genre of music out there. Guitar heroes like Angus, Eddie, Randy and so many more keep me going and motivates me to continue my journey down this rock and roll rabbit hole!
My current gear is a PRS Tremonti, an Ibanez Joe Satriani Js2450 in yes, muscle car purple. I owned a 1969 Plymouth Barracuda. So miss that car!! My current amp is a Hughes and Kettner Grandmeister 40, very nice amp.
Hope to hear from you, cheers to rock and roll and keep your horns in the air!!!
Cheers, Ron

4 Likes

Hi dudes! My name is Fabian and I’m from Santa Barbara, CA and I’ve been playing the guitar for 15 years but now started to dive into the theory aspect and love it. My favorite genre is classic 80’s/90’s Metal, but any kind of rock or metal I’ll be pretty flexible with. My go to Metal is definitely Metallica, Anthrax, and Megadeth.

My gear is a ESP KH-2, ESP MX250-ll, Gibson B-2 Explorer and a 30 watt Marshall digital FX amp!

I’m also a big gamer of Final Fantasy!

3 Likes

I’m Steve Austin from Vancouver Canada
Started guitars at 61 ,just before going thru cancer.
Never would have made it thru if not for practising each day.
I have two Les Pauls and an Ibanez PIA…looking to get another Ibanez.

Use Marshal JVM 410 and DSL40c…thru Helix LT board.

Love metal and old school rock.

Doing Kiko’s Mode course now and learning lots.

It’s all about structured practise.
Looking forward to meeting and sharing with the group.

7 Likes

I got some rhoads guitars. Love the shape. Wish you good fortune on conquering Kikos course boss.

1 Like

I didn’t see the criteria list for this thread. I like guitars with a floyd rose. I have 7 string jackson rhoads with floyd - e standard, alexi 600 rhoads - eb standard, rhoads js32 drop d standard, another rhoads js32 drop c#. I like metal, rock, hip hop, some blues and reggae. Just recently purchased a roland td50k. Really getting into music and want to learn a few instruments. Recently just learned how to setup my trem system for different tunings. My favorite technique is whammy bar squels and dive bombs. Hoping to get better at these.

2 Likes

Fellow Canadian, rock on!!

1 Like

Hi Chaps. My name is Ludo and I’m a Dutchman living in Asia. I’ve played violin as a kid and picked up guitar as a teenager, mostly alternative and metal back in the 90s. Now, 30 years later, I’m trying very hard to increase my skills and youtube has been a really helpful tool in this regard. Kiko’s arrival at Megadeth has made me re-appreciate the band and his flawless playing style (and amazing sharing online) has blown me away. Through this course, I hope to finally put some structure around my playing, and making the best of the time spent at home due to COVID. My gear is pretty simple: I use an iPad with AmpKit and have several guitars, with the Ibanez Prestiges (incl. Kiko’s red one!) as my favourites.

4 Likes