Who Else Wants to Master Modes on Guitar?

Welcome to the community @vicente.augusto!
Good question, the modes course is a standalone course so you will have to wait until the technique course (Kiko’s Complete Guitar Workout Strategy) re-opens later in the year.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum @danicc777 as well!

1 Like

Hi Giorgio, Great news about the new course!

Here are some suggestions:

1. include chords or chords progressions that the scales can be used with. This will allow the learner to immediately apply what they learn in a musical context. Scales and mode diagrams are everywhere online. The chords and chord progressions that they work with are harder to come by. For example, personally I know the Harmonic minor scale quite well but I have no clue what chords it will work with. I can’t even put together a chord progression to showcase the scale.

2. Create a demo solo etude or some licks for each scale/ mode. Perhaps Kiko starts a solo with his phrasing to get us started then we finish it…thus applying what he taught us.

3. Assign an end of course project. For example, Write a simple chord progression and solo for your favorite mode that you learned. The project enters you into a raffle. One lucky person wins a private 1 on 1 zoom coaching clinic with Kiko!:sunglasses: He listens to “you” play and then evaluates you. Guitar coach Kiko! Ex. Kiko says “Your legato is great but your alternate picking starts to lose synchronization…try this exercise to help…play slowly along with me.”

4. A play along structure incorporating Kikos practice routine that we learned in Guitar Hacks 1. Kind of like a follow along exercise video complete with on screen timers etc. Round 1 slow tempo, Round 2 medium Round 3 fast.

1.Fundamentals 10 min
2. Pomodoro 5 min
3. Out of the Box 10 min
etc.

Just some ideas

Merci Mille fois
Brian

5 Likes

Thanks @clomusic, these are great suggestions, the assignment followed by a raffle sounds pretty interesting. I am sure people would love a chance for a private 1x1 with @kiko.

4 Likes

please let me know when its ready Kiko!!!

3 Likes

Thanks!! Great ideas!! I will try to incorporate those in the course

4 Likes

Hi

I am interested in mode course. Especially if it does include :slight_smile:
-applying modes in rhythm section
-blending modes over a chord progression or over a static vamp

Thank you

Best regards

3 Likes

I would like to see phrasing as well, and maybe tone tips from apps and amps and how to tie in leads from a melody to a overall song. For example, where to put in a lead, when not to, should the song even have a lead? etc.

3 Likes

I’d love to learn how to apply the modes for lead work over chord changes.

2 Likes

Great news. I look forward to some guitar theory with Kiko. A suggestion: considering a lot of folks are dealing with financial hardship due to covid19, if possible it would be great to see a reasonably friendly co$t for the course. Moreover it looks like students join from around the world and not everyone has the purchasing power of someone living in the global north. Just a suggestion, it would be a nice gesture to consider it.

3 Likes

I feel like modes seem pointless without phrasing. It’s turning those modes into music that makes it all magical. I think that’s what I love so much about your playing Kiko. The phrasing is perfect. Composition/phrasing emphasis would be great! Guitar hacks teaches you the workout to be able to play things, but I think the next phase has to be how to play with intention. Thanks!

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum @atasayengin!
I hear you on Covid and the differences of cost of living between parts of the world, this is not an easy topic to solve but we know it’s there. Typically we offer larger discounts the earlier you enroll, maybe that could help you out.

1 Like

Welcome @andrewweldonstephens, you’re right indeed the first course was about technique and building confidence in your playing. This upcoming course is more about becoming a better musician and applying what you learned in the first one while really connecting to the music.

2 Likes

I would like to learn more about bending, back-sliding notes, and using tremolo-bar techniques when building a guitar solo with the modes. These techniques show more expression and individuality in the guitar players I admire.

1 Like

Great News, Definitely count me in brotha!
Riff~Life :purple_heart:

1 Like

I think those are some interesting concepts listed above. I suppose what I would like to learn is more about composing some for instance; using those scales and modes into making a pre chorus, pre solos or interlude around the idea of a particular rhythm sections or I suppose using bridges to tie in two different types of rhythm sections.

In any event I am looking forward to the new course.

Thank you Kiko and the crew,

Frisco_Sensing

4 Likes

Also, is there any chance we can get some muting tips within this or the technique course?

2 Likes

This will go into the Guitar Workout Strategy Course. Kiko should be able to cover that in the next private live for that course.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion @Frisco_Sensing, I don’t think the course will go as far in term of composition but it will certainly cover connecting the modes and how to use them.

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up Giorgio. I did enjoy the moods and modes lesson #1 with Kiko yesterday and I found it very helpful and inspiring. The lesson certainly did help me in my pursuit of mastering this guitar. I am certainly still interested in joining the new course and I am looking forward to the rest of week.

I will be in touch, Thank you for everything

Best regards,

Frisco_Sensing

1 Like