What if it really is about the pick?

Been going through Kiko’s videos and it’s cracking me up how much he’s asked in the chats about what kind of pick he’s using.

“It’s not about the pick!” should be on his next t-shirt.

*I use Dunlop Jazz III btw (like everyone else!)

3 Likes

Nah man, the Jazz III XL iz da bomb. Certain modes cannot be played properly withouth that extra pick material. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I use jazz III xl too in 1mm

1 Like

I use the Jazz III Max Grip as well. But even that one gives me problems when I start sweating. Between the “dent grips” I can steel feel the pick kind of unsecured so I have a few control issues.

I’ll try with the Gator Grip Jazz III. Gator Grips have a great hold for me.

Some people even look for picks with certain tone… I just need it to be comfortable.

2 Likes

I use Cat Tongue picks made in the Czech Republic. Buy them here in Canada at Long & McQuades. They are textured with literally a cat tongue surface. Really helps grip and still able to manipulate the pick without dropping it. Especially when sweating.

4 Likes

I’m interesting trying that, but my cat isn’t cooperating.

5 Likes

Yep, I am also a jazz III xl guy. I also like the John Petrucci Jazz III but a box of jazz III xl can be bought for much cheaper that the signature version so :dollar:

3 Likes

I am more traditional guy… dunlop tortex (1.14 most of the times)

1 Like

Heavy pick with a good point. Jazz III usually do the trick for me.

1 Like

Thanks for bringing this topic up. I recently broke one of my picks and am using another one which I don’t even remember the size, I just know it’s a Dunlop (I can’t check since I’m not writing this message from home). I have a lot of spare picks in my “pick box” and there’s a small red Dunlop “Jazz” one I’ve used in the past… Would that be the Jazz 3 pick most of you are using?

Edit : After checking… The Dunlop one I’ve been using is a Big Stubby (1.0 mm) and the little red pick I was talking about is indeed a Jazz 3 but it’s Fire Stone, not Dunlop (don’t know if it makes a big difference in the playing)

2 Likes

For the Jazz III lovers I highly recommend your try out the Dunlop John Petrucci Flow pick, for me it felt like evolution gone right, the texture is AMAZING, especially for my sweaty hands, plus the extra thickness and the way it glides on the strings is just WOW. I was a religious Jazz III user prior to that but to me something always felt missing till I found this pick.

And for the people that like the XL version, the Andy James Flow pick got you covered as it is the exact same as JP’s, just larger in size!

Let me know what you guys think after trying it.

3 Likes

I use xl jazz 3 version since many years. So i will try the Andy James pick up if you said it is better !
update: i went to see but it is too thick for me. I use 1mm.

1 Like

My original 10mm ‘Anvil XL©’ plectrum is on its way :slight_smile: I’m so excited!
I’m a Chickenpick 2.0mm guy. :slight_smile:

You can buy it here - https://www.plectrum.ch/products

3 Likes

The most “metal” pick i have ever seen :metal:

1 Like

Glad you tried it! I did mention that it’s thicker than the Jazz III.

I’m wondering what did you think about the grip in comparison to the Jazz III? as that was the main selling feature for me.

Just received this today.

10mm ‘Anvil XL©’ plectrum

1 Like

I use the Dunlop TIII picks. It’s a tortex pick with a jazz III tip.

Before, I’m using the ultex as it has a better grip for me though it still slips then I’ve changed to John Petrucci’s signature picks which is Primetone. I like the primetone as it’s the only pick that doesn’t slip on my fingers and has a sound of the ultex. But I’ve switched back to tIII because I don’t like the squeaky or squealy sound of the ultex or primetone when I’m picking. haha. :laughing:

definitely Dunlops rhinos ultex 1.14 but not sharps for me Standards…Grab em’ by the bag full :slight_smile:

1 Like

Super crazy …the pick of destiny!!

1 Like

I find when I use a real thick pick for awhile then go to a thinner pick what ever I’m playing is a little bit easier. Still experimenting but that’s my current belief.