Understanding the 7 factors

Hey guys so I started 7 factors just around the time Kiko established it and I was wondering when a person should go into the next lesson? For example I’m on Lesson 6 Chapter 1: Visualization per string. Would it be best to know my triads up the fret per string from the whole G major scale that he gave us as the starting default and continue to the next chord from that G major scale and know its triads? Hopefully this makes sense. Thanks!

2 Likes

Hey Fabian,

Given the my OCDish tendency to get stuck with things for a long long time instead of moving on the next step, I instantly upped the ante: instead of visualizing and practising the triads only in the corresponding shape (eg.: G Major triad in the G Ionian shape starting on 3rd fret low E) I extended the exercise to all 7 shapes. So I started with the G Ionian shape, stopped whenever I “found” a G, B or D note and started from te beginning of the shape and went till the next G,B or D and so on and so forth. Then moved on the next shape, A Dorian and did the same when found a G, B or D note, the on to the next shape till I went troug all of them. When done, did the same with the rest of the triads.

So I believe you can do the same approach on one string too. To be honest, it depends on you and your level of knowledge. For example I was already familiar with the seven shapes, so I could start working to look for specific things withing the shapes right away because I didn’t have to worry about the shape itself, those were pretty automatic already (couldn’t do shit with them, but that’s why I’m here :smiley: ). If you’re comfortable enough with your knowledge of notes along the strings, then I see no harm inthrowing in the other triads too.

Though I feel a bit of a consfusion regarding chords and triads in your post. I might be only me as English is not my mothertongue, so sorry if I misunderstood something!

Triads are chords. Three note chords. So when you say you move on from G major to the next chord, which is A minor, and learn the triad (A, C and E), you are still working within the G Major scale, (specifically the ii chord of the G Major scale, to which the corresponding scale/mode would be the A Dorian). At least at this point of the course. That’s the tricky part of the modes: they are the same, but they aren’t. :smiley: The A minor triad is A-C-E, but that is a triad found in the G major scale too. So is B minor (BDF#), C major (CEG) etc, you just start stacking thirds from a different degree of the G Major scale. This is why we say that these modes are derived from the major scale. Think of it as permutations of the same set of notes. So what I want ot say is that by learning the the triads of the G Major scale, you are also learning the triads of the next 6 chords. If you will, the I/i chords of the other six modes.

Bottom line is: learn everything, but take your time in doing so. Baby steps are OK, they will take you the full distance and help you get a solid foundation, just make sure you push yourself a bit to advance towards your goal. :wink:

Again sorry if that is not the info you were looking for… :frowning: There’s many of us on here, so others will chime in too and don’t refrain from rephrasing or repating your question or asking new questions if you feel like you need it!

2 Likes

Yeah so after the G chord I went to the next one which is the A minor and started memorizing its triads along the strings. Then after the A minor I want to go to the B minor until I do the whole G major scale. Would that be the smartest thing to do before continuing forward to the next lesson?

1 Like

I’d say yes, most definitely! It won’t be much extra work anyways, since apart from the F#, you will only have two sets of patterns to memorize for the triads: minor and major. Of course together with the in between notes each one will show a unique pattern, but if you strip them down to the triads, you’ll be left with two: the minor patterns for A,B, E and the major for G, C, D. The F# is the odd one out, but in the beginning it’s not worth putting much work into the quite seldom used Locrian (I believe Kiko says something similar too in one of the lessons). You can gain much more from learning to use the other six modes.