Transcribe Music - Slow it Down

Any of you use something to slow tuners down to transcribe?

Working on Du Monde today … don’t have my tab book yet but can’t wait so today I did a simple search to see what there is to slow things down…this cracks me up it is so easy. It’s free to use unless you want to go below 50% of the speed. Very easy to use just drop the link in and go.

I use Anytune and Transcribe. Both are great.

2 Likes

Also, Ben Eller uses some plugin is his DAW, can’t recall the name though. But he demonstrates in the video he did about the Tornado of souls solo

1 Like

I haven’t used any of these tools, but I’ll give them a go! I usually play live or playthrough videos on Youtube half speed, so I can see the notes, picking patterns, etc. It also helps me to figure out the tuning of the song quickly.

1 Like

If you need to go slower or need to muck with the audio in other ways, Audacity has been around forever and is also free.

1 Like

It’s amazing the tools available these days.

I decided to buy Guitar Pro to utilize the guitar pro files that come with Open Source tab book. I found I can slow it as much as I want and I can also follow the tab more easily as it goes…and play along

Occasionally if I am struggling with hand positioning I will look at the vid and slow down to 50%.

I am working to play Du Monde and for the first section hand positioning had me thinking so the visual play through is a great help and inspiration.

1 Like

I use Cronotron from the Microsoft store. PC based app that downloads youtube songs and videos to edit. You can slow it down without changing the pitch and also sync the audio and video up.
Great app!!

1 Like

Hey Dudes,
I use Anytune to slow songs down, very useful. However, guitar distortion and pathetic aural skills make figuring out songs accurately almost impossible for me. Anyone know of a program that can isolate a single guitar? It may help.

A quick google search does return some results for such software solutions, but I bet those aren’t cheap… :frowning: Have you tried playing around with an EQ in a DAW? I can imagine it might be able to emphasize/attenuate frequencies so that the guitar part pops out more… Just a theory though!:wink:

Also, if its not some overly complex stuff, trying to figure out the key can significantly speed up the guesswork!

Megadeth, never knew guitar tracks could be isolated, so I’ve never looked. I’m googling it now. For years I thought authentic TAB books were my bible, but they are horrible. Even dudes on YouTube with instructional videos on how to play songs are often wrong. I just wish the actual artists would help us out.

Well, @kiko 's right here for us with allt he tabs he’s put out lately. But he’s the odd one out, as you have said, most of the tabs out there are just comissioned work.

I also started out believeing they were my bible, but now I just use to them to get in the ballpark of things then use live videos to refine things. But those can be misleading too, becuause oftentimes artists play a bit differently live. I remember noticing how Hetfield used to play the first riff of Blackened with string skipping for the octaves ( Live Shit Seatle for example), now that he’s less angry and pissed he does it on the E and A strings. :slight_smile: As for Megadeth, Dave’s picking patterns I think are borderline indeciphareble using tabs only - he has such specific patterns for certain riffs, that you just have to wath his hands.

Also, there are quite a few isolated Megadeth tracks on youtube, I believe from the Peace Sells album!

My deal is playing guitar is super hard. I’m nowhere fast enough, but as I’m muddling thru, I’d like to know exactly what they are doing until I can increase my speed. Nothing worse than working hard on playing something only to find out after many hours, or in my case years, that ur playing it wrong. I’m all about accuracy and authenticity. It goes beyond just getting the right notes too, I want fingerings and picking patterns. Maybe I’m nuts, but to me it doesn’t seem to be asking for too much. Thanks, I’ll search youtube for those isolated tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=megadeth+isolated+guitar+tracks

This might be my fave, because I feel like Chris Poland so “under-studied” compared to other guys:

1 Like

I use VLC player it’s free.

1 Like