Thoughts on DI boxes?

Hi everyone!

I’ve looking into home recording and I read in a few places that a DI box can be a game changer when it comes to recording using a tube amp. I typically play using amp simulators and plugging my guitar into my Focusrite interface. So I was wondering if I would need a DI box to get a good enough signal if I wanted to send out a song to be mixed and mastered? How do you guys usually record at home?

1 Like

My Yamaha THR 10 amp has a USB out that I plugs into my computer, and I record via that in GarageBand. The THR exposes four channels: left+right with effects, and without effects. I normally record channels 3+4 (left+right, no effects) option. I got positive feedback on the sound quality of my most recent recording: https://soundcloud.com/user-100088275/behind-blue-eyes/s-LRRREKLHUQj

1 Like

I tried a DI when I was playing tube amps and didn’t notice much of a difference.

1 Like

Just to make sure I understand, you plan to mic your cab and use a DI box to plug your mic into your computer?

1 Like

Are you not satisfied with your sound? What’s the problem?

Maybe it’s the software simulation. I had never been satisfied with them, that’s why I first used miked amps and then switched to Kemper. No advertising for Kemper btw - it works for me. But I sure will try out AxeFX someday.

So it might just be the software. I’m not sure a DI would make a significant difference.

But maybe somebody has made better experiences?

2 Likes

It does sound great!

2 Likes

@Giorgio, nope, I’m planning to record using only amp simulators, so no amp or mic. I’ve seen a lot of people using a DI box to get a more clear signal when recording with an amp and I was wondering if a DI box would also be necessary to get a clear signal when you use amp simulators.

3 Likes

The sound is not an issue for me. Bias FX has a ton of amps and effects and you can tweak all you want to make them sound how you want them to sound. I just wanted to know more about how to get a decent enough signal that maybe an engineer could later use for mixing and mastering, if I wanted to release some songs on Spotify or something.

3 Likes

I only use a DI box to split the signal like an A/B box. That way I can monitor through the amp and run clean into the interface.

3 Likes

Cool, thanks for the reply @Alan_Woodward. I’m not sure if I really need one then, since I’m not running anything through a real amp.

1 Like

@jaumeantu Ah, I see!

Have you ever thought about reamping?
I bought a set for reamping. Not cheap, but worth it (Radial Reamping Kit).
There’s an awesome DI included.

With that you could try and record any real amp you like afterwards (or change the amp on your virtual amp or Kemper). There are even studios that record your “clean” guitar tracks with decent expensive amps for you.

I plugged the through output to my Kemper and the DI out (line signal) into the interface directly. So I can record both, the amp signal and the line signal to be able to change the amp afterwards by reamping it. For the reamping part you need the line signal transformed to a guitar signal. For this you need the second box of the kit.

Cheap DI boxes make the sound bad. You can forget those, you will only be disappointed.

Small edit note afterwards: When using a Kemper (and I’m sure other gear as well), you don’t need a DI in between the guitar and the amp - it has a DI output. Just a re-amping box for the way back I assume. But would be half the cost!

1 Like

@nilsrocks, thanks for the suggestion! I’m going to look into that.

Do you record anything else besides DI guitars? Having a nice high end preamp/DI is never a bad thing to have around. I hesitate to say just adding a nice DI into things is going to improve the sound that much if you are using the built in preamp on the interface anyway.

1 Like

Hi @alexanderrobert! Thanks for the reply. Yes, I’m only recording DI guitars. So far I’m just plugging my guitar into a Scarlett Solo and even though I’m not having trouble with clipping or anything, I was wondering if the dry signal that you get from the interface is clear enough to get a good mix out of. Nils suggested a reamping kit and I think it’s a great idea, but the more things you guys can tell me about home recording the better, since I’m pretty new to this :slight_smile:

2 Likes