Question about speed in the different "stages"

Hello all,

First of all, sorry if this question has been already answered.

In alternative picking day one, basically, for the fundamental, the proposed speed is 100 BPM.
For the fundamental part, no big issue, I can manage it quite properly
For the musical part, the speed proposed is “double” and already challenging for me to make it properly and with accuracy.
For the “out of the plateau”, obviously, the again double speed is not reachable.

My question is so: is it better to decrease the speed of the fundamental (let’s say 80BPM) and make the full course with that speed or keeping 100 BPM for fundamental and decrease slightly the musical part and decrease frankly for the out of the plateau?

Thanks for your advices.

Musically,

Greg

2 Likes

I stick with the 100 bpm for the fundamentals and adjust the rest to my level. In the musical stage even the left hand can become limiting: I completely shunned pentatonics when I started playing, because “shredders don’t play shitty pentatonics”. Needless to say I did not manage to become a real shredders, despite religiously mocking pentatonics in my teens, but at least I robber myself of a great musical tool… Speaking of tools, talk about me being a big tool! :rofl: So for me there is night and day difference between my 2 note per string and 3 note per string days. I try to keep in mind what Kiko says: fundamentals need to be super slow and super perfect, musical stage needs to push the limits a bit, but still be as clean as possible and out of the plateau must push your limitss and can be a bit sloppy (not a complete slopfest, just a bit sloppy). If that means 120 bpm 8th notes on day 2 and 160 bpm 16th on day 3, than be it. I just make sure that Phases 2 and 3 are faster. I don’t/can’t always go double speed, but I “cheat” a bit with for example going 16th notes instead of the 8th notes but at 85 or 90 bpm

I think it’s not strictly the numbers (bpm) what make this work , but rather the approach: engrave the right motion (fundamentals), learn to apply it (musical) , then force the strengthening of the muscles (plateau) then force the speed of tought (box). It’s pretty much like athletic training.

1 Like

Hi Greg , I had similar question to which kiko said u can decrease the speed in the fundamental . The important thing is to stay relaxed . So you can do the fundamentals very relaxed and slowly focusing on your hand positions and movement . Then double the speed in musical exercise but not too much as it should be comfortable . You should be able to check the movements in musical exercise and correct it whenever it goes wrong . Out of the plateau is where you push the speed , but again you must be relaxed from your shoulders . Also your face as some guys people tense their facial muscles . Whenever you feel you are getting tensed stop relax and then continue again. Your technique of fundamental and out of the plateau should be the same . Best of luck .

1 Like

For the fundamentals I even do then at 80-90 bpms. So they feel and sound very nice and controlled. But that’s me, do your own.

The musical exercises should be at the fastest you personally can while keeping them clean/precise and controlled. It is very important so you really can play them good at faster speeds later on.

At out of the plateau just have to be at a faster speed where you have a challenge yet you can still play it. Like Kiko said, a little bit sloppy is ok. But if it gets too messy lower the speed.

Speeds do not have to get doubled, but to what is manageable and works for you. As long as you are pushing yourself a little bit further each time and you are making sure it is being done right, you will be fine.

In my experience sometimes is ok to back off a little, specially when you are having a bad day.

As noted, it is important to feel relaxed and to really pay attention to your hands and the sound of everything you.

1 Like

thanks for the different advices. That’s cool to feel supported!

Greg