Private Live with Kiko on October 11th

Oi Kiko, hello everyone.

I would be interested in learning more about hybrid picking.

1. When do you use hybrid picking and when would you simply use traditional string skipping (with your pick)?

2. How do you get the best sound with your fingers when you are using hybrid picking? (The problem seems to be that - depending on your picking hand position - either your pick OR your fingers are in the optimal position to pick/pluck the strings, but not both at the same time.)

Obrigado!

3 Likes

Hi all,

It would to have Kiko inputs on EVH technique and composition

Best regards

2 Likes

Hi,

1. Is it needed and how to practice Phrasing?
  2. How to practice combining two or more techniques together
  3. How to improve rythm skills?

Till tommorow!
Regards,

1 Like

Itā€™s like working out, it takes a little time to build endurance using daily exercises to achieve your goals.

Kiko has gone over stretching techniques and how to hold your pick in the 1st & 2nd alternate picking day to include mentioning it in some of the previous Q&A Lives which are posted on this site for your review.

Itā€™s best not to over due it in just one single day as you can get tendonitis (Believe me this is very painful and can hurt for weeks). Work daily in building up strength and endurance to include callous on your fingertips and the side of your index finger for barring chords. Eventually the speed will follow.

I had developed tendonitis on my fretting hand on my thumb knuckle trying to play some speed metal. (I believe it was ā€œMotorbreathā€ by Metallica that got me!!!)

In any event its alot of hard work and it takes dedication, devotion and daily practice .

I hope this helps brother.

Gd luck! :wink:

2 Likes

I pluck and use pulls with pick and finger with two stringsā€¦ Hybrid Picking can be pretty tricky. Iā€™ve done some finger picking in the past and using a pick can be tough in a way until you get used to itā€¦

In any event itā€™s a good question. I think there is so much you can do with Hybrid Picking.

When skipping strings while alternate picking Iā€™m struggling with the pick ā€˜digging inā€™ on the destination string (going too deep).

While I recognize practice and drilling muscle memory is important, is there any little hints you can offer on how to better overcome this?

1 Like

Hi everybody and thanks for all the questions and topics.
Welcome to all our new members, lots of first posts in this thread!

The lesson page for this live is up, I will share the link there just before we start:

He mentioned he used Bogners

The link is in the lesson page, https://www.guitarhacks.com/course/live-october-11th-2020/!
See you in 5 minutes,

I would recomend slowing down a little bit when string skipping until you can get all of the exercises up to speed. When your string skipping you have to go up and over the string to reach the next string. Itā€™s okay to slow down and over exaggerate your attack some. You can also anchor your pinky to the guitar, this may also help although I can do it both ways. One more thing, go for the same sting a few times before moving down or up to the next string. I believe this one is the most important of all.

Try not to be in to much of a Hurry and over time everything will start to flow.

1 Like

Just wanted to say thanks to Kiko for today and also thanks to the Guitar Hacks community.

I had a great time today. I have been wanting to connect with a community of guitar players more serious about their playing and I could tell from the chat that many of you like the community too.

Special thanks to the time to honor Eddie Van Halen. Kiko, it was a great chat. I would have been happy to spend any time talking of him to celebrate him with a bunch of other guitar players. I got so many great ideas.

Canā€™t wait for the next!

Peace all!
Randy

4 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions Frisco, Iā€™ll definitely work on it this week!

2 Likes

Thanks Kiko! So awesome that you do this. I couldnā€™t make the live, but so glad to find it here on GuitarHacks!

-Joe

2 Likes