Music Theory/Guitar Technique lightbulb moment!

Just as the title suggests, describe one of the lightbulb moments you’ve had while practicing guitar/learning music theory that after that moment had passed the concept/technique you were trying to understand revealed itself to be in fact quite simple! (some of us might still be struggling with that concept so by sharing here you can light the bulb of other members and help them figure things out!)

I’ll start, while trying to memorize the 3 notes per string patterns of the 7 modes of the Major Scale, it took me a while to notice that the 2nd octave pattern of each mode is the 1st octave pattern of the mode that is the next but one to it.

For example: C Mixolydian (5th mode), on the E A and D strings you’re playing the Mixolydian pattern (Ionian with a b7) while on the G B and E strings you’re playing the Locrian (7th mode) pattern (Ionian with a b2, b3, b5, b6, b7)

1 Like

Great idea for a thread!

Interesting how we all memorize things differently, this actually confuses me more :slight_smile:

For me I would say on theory, navigating around minor modes has been easier by focusing on the 2nd and 6th.
Like if you’re playing Dorian, flattening the 6th takes you do Aeolian, then flatting the 2nd takes you to Phrygian. Making the tone more dark/minor along the way.

2 Likes

Modes from brightest to darkest:
Lydian - Ionian - Mixolydian - Dorian - Aeolian - Phrygian - Locrian

Having said this, take a look at every position/shape in a 3NPS, then take one octave of every string and you’ll see the pattern of modes going from darkest to brightest.

For example, let’s take the 1st position/shape of G major/Ionian scale and take the 1st octave of the scale starting from the 6th string, you’ll see that this is the Ionian scale. Next, take another octave of the scale but now starting from the 5th string, you’ll see that this is the Lydian scale. Continue the pattern and it’ll just cycle from the darkest to brightest.

Another one for easier memorization of 3NPS per shape/position. 3NPS comprises of 3 patterns namely, 1-2-4, 1-3-4, and 1-2-4/1-3-4 (stretch). Just a side note the numbers were the fretting finger number with 1 as the index finger, 2 the middle finger, 3 the ring finger and 4 as the pinky. To continue, the cycle just forms this pattern, 3 times of 1-2-4/1-3-4 (stretch) followed by 2 times of 1-2-4 and followed by 2 times of 1-3-4. This is applicable on every pattern/shape and it just cycles through it.

For example, let’s take the G major/Ionian scale 1st position. The pattern will go like this in fret numbers, E string 3-5-7, A string 3-5-7, D string 4-5-7, G string 4-5-7, B string 5-7-8 and lastly High E string 5-7-8. If you’ll take a closer look the pattern is as mentioned above which is 2 times of 1-2-4/1-3-4 (stretch) followed by 2 times of 1-2-4 and followed by 2 times of 1-3-4.

Let’s, take another example this time the 2nd position of G major/Ionian scale. The pattern will go like this in fret numbers, E string 5-7-8, A string 5-7-9, D string 5-7-9, G string 5-7-9, B string 7-8-10, and lastly High E string 7-8-10. If we’ll refer to the pattern, it’ll look like this, 1 time 1-3-4, 3 times 1-2-4/1-3-4 (stretch), and 2 times 1-2-4.

Hoping that this is not confusing. If only I can have a visual example this will be clearer. Thank you!

2 Likes