Guitar workout progression days

Hello Everybody!
I have a question for the more experienced player in this fine community!
Finally i subscribed to the guitar workout course and just praticing day one following the “pomodoro” tecnique a couple of times i can already feel the improvement.

Now my questions are about the fact that i’m completely new to arpeggios and it require me a bit of time to learn the fingering before i can call it a practice. So i was thinking on focusing on day one for a week and then switch to day two and so on.

Do you think this is a correct approach or maybe is better just to do what i can, progress with the course, coming back later for another cycle? Note that boredom is not a problem, i quite enjoy repeating the same exercice if the goal is tecnical improvement.

I’ m also in the 7 factor course and was thinking about alternating a workout session with a study session, if time allow in the same day if not on alternate days.

Thanks in advance my freinds!!!
Claudio

2 Likes

When I enrolled to the workout course, I spent the first week of each technique I started to work on with guitar in hands and watching the provided video lesson very closely until I managed to learn the exercises. Didn’t fit in the one hour of course, because firstbwatched the lesson, pausing or replaying if need be, then do the 5 minutes of the exercise. In my opinion, since this is a technique course, the emphasis is on how you play it, not exactly what you play so above anything else take it slow and be precise.

I’d say that if the shapes are so new to you that you cannot complete the exercise even at slow speeds, then definitely set some time aside for learning them. You’ll do yourself a favor, since the minor and major triad shapes are one of the first lessons in 7factor. You know, the one where you need to stop on each chord tone. By stopping on the chord tones you’re basically outlining arpeggio shapes within the scale boxes.

But if you have already memorized the shapes, they just feel new or alien, then I’d set a slower bmp for the exercise and work my way up.

2 Likes

thanks a lot for your suggestion Nexion! i’m right on that lesson on the 7 factor course and i’m starting to crack it, i was familiar with the shapes in Cmaj, but not with the triads, the concept is easy as kiko explain it but it takes time to familiarize with it. But as result of today live on youtube i get triad are sort of "more important because you can build your solos and melodies aroud it…it take practice :slight_smile:
can you suggest me a book to dedicate myself to arpeggios and chords?

Btw it was nice to meet and recognize a few of you in the youtube chat!

cheers mate! :metal: :metal: :metal: :metal:

1 Like

Great, so I missed another live… I swear I checked on Kiko1s channel at around 7 pm and saw nothing scheduled. It made sense since I read that they’re doing the solos for the new Megadeth album. Anyways, looks like I’ll have a slightly longer lunchbreak today! :rofl:

Just about any will do in my opinion if you’re looking for something to learn shapes or voicings from. Em7 will be E-G-B-D no matter in which book you look. Recently I found that I learn a certain shape or voicing faster and easier if I “invent” it for myself. “OK, so here’s the A major triad, how do I make it Lydian? Where’s a #4/#11 I can grab and add to it? Can I add a 9 too? I love the sound of that!” Or just the other day I “reverse engineered” an A#m7b9 chord by grabbing a wierd shape on the guitar and deciphered the notes I got and tried to make sense of it. Didn’t know what chord it was when I grabbed it, but now I have my “very own” shape for that m7b9 sound. Of course it’s not mine or not my invention, most guitarists know that shape too, but now I have a story with that shape, I can relate to it and probably won’t ever forget it. And you can do the same “trick” with the arpeggio shapes.

That being said, it handy to have a reference collection of chords diagrams just in case. I’d say pick the one with the coolest looking cover. :wink:

1 Like

:joy::joy::joy: i’ll follow your suggestion and look for the coolest looking cover​:metal::smiley::metal:

Seriously your suggestion about inventing them is pretty good is also a chanche to learn triads position on the fretboard!!! Building chords and arpeggios this way as you suggest make a bond with them and it will become a precious reference in the future.

I just need to take it easy and allow my brain the time to memorize new things.

About the live it was really interestin and spot on as unual.
I never folloved on line course but this time kiko is really changing the way i look at my guitar :metal:

Cheers my friend

1 Like

Hi Claudio,

@nexion218 said it all.

1.: Just make sure you analyse and compare the shapes of the arpeggios to the shapes of chords you already know. Makes it a lot easier. Which means the major and minor chords G, C, D (which is in major the same as the chord C (as D over third)), the barré chords (take a look at E and A), A (which is in major the same as the G chord
2.: When you got this, you have the 1-3-5 of the major and minor chords.
Make sure you know, where the unisons, thirds and fifths are - as well in the inversions of the chords.
3.: Knowing the unisons, you as well know the sevenths.
4.: When you know this, you know, where the “neighbors” are, the second, the fourth and the sixth, aka 9, 11 and 13.

Sounds like a loooooooot of work. But this is accompanied by many senses of achievment and this will keep you motivated, believe me!

Have fun!
Nils

Then you can combine the chords directly with scales in any inversion spread over the fretboard.
Only less to understand but takes some time to master. Make yourself a plan and go! One hour every second doing this day and you’ll know what this is about in July this year.

2 Likes

Hi Nils,

Your and Nexions suggestion are what i’m going to follow till I’ crack it. The difficult part is memorizing the position on the fretboard but i understood that once you cracked the triad everything else will follow in a flow. Now i try to do every day a couple of ours, first the guitar workout and than one our of shapes and notes learning. anyway this is lesson 2 of the seven shapes so might extendint to the chord progression of GMaj and then they it with the minor scale as well, anyway practiong appeggios is fun.

Slow pace but steady!

Thanks a lot for your suggesions and for your time my friend!

BTW i saw on your profile you are from Freiburg! wow i’ve been there on a motorcycle trip and it’s amazing!!! Love the Bavaria and bavarian motorbike :smiley:

Cheers my friend!!!

2 Likes