Guitar pick madness...help!

Hi everyone

So here is my problem. Medium pick? Heavy pick? Small pick ? Triangle pick? I constantly change picks in search of the pick of destiny. One day the Jazz lll is my favorite then the next it’s a 3.0 Stubby. The next day I’ll go back to the ole orange 60mm tortex or Kikos 1.14 mm. I just can’t settle on a darn pick! It seems that each has its advantages and disadvantages. Constantly switching picks is probably hurting my technique as I have to adjust each time I change.

Does anyone else have this problem or any advice on how to choose one pick and stick to it? Thx.

2 Likes

Personally I am all about these kinds of more pointed picks:

I play metal so these need to be thick, but not like playing with a chunk of wood. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I used to be that guy who forgot to bring a pick to rehearsal so I pretty much conditioned myself to use any pick that I can find as long as it’s thick enough …
Long story short, sorry I can’t help as I am not picky about picks :wink:

3 Likes

I’ve always used 1.14mm. These ones specifically https://amzn.to/3jCYyBD
As soon as they start to flatten on the edge (usually around a week or so of playing) I’ll throw it out and grab a new one.

I’ve never been able to figure out how to use a triangle pick. :joy:

1 Like

I’ve tried a lot of picks, but I’m using only these two ones: I love the black one because it’s not too big for my hand, it’s heavy, pretty thick and pointed and has a really great grip, it’s very comfortable for me and I use it constantly and almost for everything. I choose the other one, thinner and softer, only for strumming or playing “jazzy” things because I like the nice clear sound it produces.

3 Likes

It is totally fine to use different picks. Just use the one that you feel suits you better at a given moment.

In my case I’m married to just one pick though.

But I know many guitar players use different ones.

3 Likes

I often switch picks myself for shape and thickness. It may be in my head but if I feel a pick isn’t working for me at the moment I start digging through my jar for one that makes me feel better… and eventually the cycle will repeat.
I will use everything from .77 up to 3.0 but lately I’ve been sticking with a flow 1.0, maybe it’s the one that will stick around a while (I doubt it) lol.

1 Like

A little late to the conversation but I used to use very thick picks and now gravitate to .77 picks.
Available here are the Cat Tongue brand picks. They have a cat tongue like tooth to them so they don’t slip.
Also read recently that Paul Gilbert used very heavy picks and now uses very thin picks. He says the picking is smoother as the pick doesn’t get caught up in the strings. Better pick slides as well.

1 Like

The sound I get is a big driver for pick choice. The thickness I prefer is heavy because of less drag on strings.

I have used so many picks over time as long as they are heavy and have a decent point I am good. I don’t think much further than that.

Randy

I would tend to think that switching picks is a good thing as long as you stay in the hard/medium range. Because It forces you to adapt each time and be more careful. I’m personally more comfortable with the same pick… But I often lose them when I travel or move too much during the week.
I lost one this summer and had to play with a penny for a whole week… I thought “Brian May did it, so why not me?” :rofl: as if it was that easy to do like Brian May lol

1 Like

Ha ha I did the penny thing too lol. Loved raking quarters on the strings at first …when I did not break my strings

2 Likes

It’s all personal opinion. If you can’t decide, you haven’t found the right one yet.

I can practice with anything, even a coin, but my absolute favorite that gives me the feel I like is a Jazz III Tortex 1.5mm. I feel like I can absolutely rip with these. I like the tactile feedback I get. I know when that pick has gone through the string and it doesn’t feel or sound mushy or scratchy. It feels very precise.

I also play with Jazz III .88s and 1.0s.

I keep a bunch of Tortex Dunlop Flow picks of various thickness in a big bin for when I want to change it up. They are a lot bigger than the Jazz III’s but I like them as well. I just always seem to end up with a jazz III in my hand before I’m done practicing.

2 Likes

Guitar pick is 200% a personal choice. The only way to find out is to buy a bunch of different kinds and experiment. I myself did that for the first 3-4 years and finally settled on Jazz III which apparently a bunch of the well known guitar idols also use. (I never knew before so it was cool to come to the same conclusion as them without being influenced haha)

But to be honest, til this day I still occasionally try different picks but mainly just variation of Jazz III (like the XL and different thickness). Because of this I have a collection of weird picks even a completely round one that I still don’t know who on earth would use lol

Mom and pop music shops are great for experimenting cuz they sell picks individually like at a candy shop. Chained music stores all sell it in a whole pack and if you don’t like it you are stuck with a bag of wasted plastic.

I don’t see differences in my playing using different picks. It must be hard, that’s enough.
I think it’s a false problem, take the pick you feel comfortable with and that’s it, stop searching

I used to use the red Jazz III then about 5 or six years ago started using the Kirk Hammett Jazz III (the neon green one) I find it good to grip with the notch that is cut out from it .

I have also tried Tortex white. Ones too but always come back to the Kirk Hammett .

1 Like