Fractal Axe FX3 Mark2, Anyone use a Fractal unit?

I signed up to the waiting list several months ago and just got my invite to buy. Not sure I’m ready to pull the trigger on it. Heard so many good things about it and wondered if anyone here had any experience with the later versions of it?

2 Likes

I can buy a Helix unit here in Canada for about $2300. The Fractal FX3 I can get from the USA is about $3300 in Canadian dollars. Quite a large jump in price. So torn in where to blow my gear money!!
Yes to my wife’s dismay I have a separate savings account just for gear.

2 Likes

Never heard of that before, that’s dedication!

2 Likes

@jono is very happy with his Axe FX3 mark 1, maybe he can add some color here.

I have an AXE FX2 and a HX Effect. The effect on the HX are really not as good as on the AXE FX2, I can’t imagine vs the FX3.

I still like having the HX because I use it as a midi controller and FX unit for my tube amp when playing live. The Axe FX is only used in the studio for me as it’s bigger and requires its own foot switch.

2 Likes

I really like the look of Fractal FX units. I think instead of buying pedals I fork out on an FX unit.
Ebay has a few units going

Ultra for £600
A complete FX2 setup with amp £2400

I like shiny things much to the annoyance of my wife! :joy::joy:

2 Likes

Indeed, getting older Fractal units is a great bargain. I would stay away from the Ultra and get a II instead as the quantum firmwares and the effect on the II are so much worth it.

Same here!

2 Likes

Cheers @Giorgio for your advice.

I recently watched a Metallica equipment setup VLog on YouTube and they were using the FX2.

My main concern is what other equipment I will require to run it effectively. I do own a combo amp (Fender Champion 100). Do you know if it will work ok?

Cheers

J :love_you_gesture::guitar:

2 Likes

Oh I see, well it depends what kind of sounds you’re looking for. The Axe FX does not need an external amp as it has all the speaker and amp modeling included. You can use regular studio speakers, headphones or a PA live.
In can also be used with a real amp of course for adding effects but if you want to get Metallica tones, the Fender Champion is not your best option although I am sure it will make do.

2 Likes

If I can run my guitars through it with just headphones plugged in to listen that is perfect!!

Many thanks for this @Giorgio, very helpful.

All the best :beers:

John

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice guys. Its a lot to fork out for gear but has everything in it to compliment a home recording studio. It will be my Christmas present to myself !!

2 Likes

Managed to get my paws on a brand new FM3 on Ebay. Cost a bit more than would if I got it from a supplier in Germany but I don’t need to wait on the list.

Spending my time now watching tutorials to learn about this beast.

All the best everyone :guitar::love_you_gesture::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

John

1 Like