Change String Gauge

Hi All! :slight_smile:

I’m currently using Elixir 10-46 on my Ibanez AZ2402 and I want to change it to 9-42.
Do I need to adjust anything?

Thank you! :slight_smile:

Hey, most likely you will have to adjust your trust rod. If you use the same tuning with lighter strings, you will need to lower the tension on your neck to keep it flat.
Also, changing string gauge can affect intonation, so will likely need to fine-tune that as well.
Can you share pictures of your neck after changing the strings?

1 Like

Before touching the truss rod , I would let it sit a day or 2 and see what happens. Then check the neck and bridge. On my Ibanez it usually will just require loosening the springs underneath to bring the bridge parallel to the body again.

1 Like

Oh Yes! you will definitely have to re adjust your truss rod, intonation and reset your action. I play using 8ga. Hybrid set on my Ibanez and Strat and 10ga. Elixir on my Acoustic. Its quite a bit of work to set up… I would like to move up to a 9ga. set of Hybrids on my Jackson but considering I have active pickups its a lot of work and with all of the re-adjustments I don’t know if I’m ready to make that move. I have the Seymour Duncan Blackouts on the Jackson so I’m not sure if I want to do that yet…

I hope you get the sound and feel your looking for brotha!:wink:

Riff~Life :purple_heart:

1 Like

Basically what [Giorgio] said . I use 10-52 and 10-46 depending on the guitar.

FLOATING BRIDGE:
If you have a floating bridge probably going to need slight adjustments there. Located in the back cavity its the two long screws that go into the neck. Just turn them same amount again 1/4 turns. Mark it with a sharpie at the top so you can visually see how much you went and you can always dial it back to where you started.

TRUSS ROD:
Perhaps 1/4 turn on the truss rod as well…small increments it not as scary as people make it sound. Remember the strings and truss rod are in a constant battle of tug of war to keep the neck straight (actually some slight relief concave) If you get buzzes towards the nut give it a counter clockwise turn .Having a straight edge to check the relief in the neck helps too to see the change.

INTONATION:
As far as intonation moving the saddle towards the neck increases pitch (you are shortening the string) towards the bridge lowers pitch (lengthening the string) Again small adjustments go a long way.

SUMMARY:
Order ops for me CLEAN get all the crud/grime off the fretboard and all the pick dust outta the pickups,Truss rod get the neck where you want it, set up float on bridge, adjust action (if needed) intonate…shred.

Hope this helps…