Best mid range Electric guitar

Hey, I am receiving a few messages from people who are looking for a new guitar but can’t/don’t want to buy an expensive model.
Sounds like this is a great question to ask this forum since we all have the guitar bug (GAS…) and it might be a different answer depending on where you live.
I was thinking, something between $500 and $1000 new,

What would you recommend?

I think to get a truly midrange giutar, I’d go used with that money. Unfortunately midrange stuff new is more like 1000 USD over here… :frowning:

Ah you’re right, this amount is a bit too low, let me change the price range

I’m just condensing all my comments into one:

Schecter

PRS SE

Gibson (maybe a little over)

Jackson (maybe charvel too if it’s the same quality)

Fender made in Mexico.

I’ve heard good things about solar, but I have no experience

Last thing: try before you buy. You want to find YOUR guitar, though now might not be a great time to try stuff (pandemic and all), you want to get a guitar you will keep picking up after the honeymoon is over.

1 Like

Epiphone Les Paul Custom and upgrade the bridge pickup if you think it’s necessary. I had one in Silverburst and was happy with the sound and feel.

2 Likes

Maybe the best advice here is try before you buy like @ironsabbath2112 said or find a retailer with impeccable return policy.

They can be hit or miss in this range unfortunately. Swapping lower end hardware is no biggie, eventually would do it anyways. But sloppy routings or botched fretjobs can’t be fixed at home and without doling out cash again, which is a big no-no when spending a grand on a new guitar.

I had good experiences with all three of my Pro Series Jacksons in the given price category, but all of them have/had minor imperfections which were either aesthetic or fixable in 5 minutes. Great instruments. But recently they are driving up their prices (1400-ish for some Pro Series) and some models are not even made in Indonesia, but China. Ouch.

Solars sound like a lot of guitar for the money, but if I remeber correctly someone on here had problems with cracking neck joints. Others love them. I was eyeing one for a long time, but bought a nother Jackson instead🤣

And even in the 1000 USD range I wouldn’t rule out the used market. Generally speaking you can go up a category for the same money when buying used.

Asan interesting sidenote, almost every big brand hires either Cort, Samick or WMI to.produce their mid-tier import models…

2 Likes

Lots of good tips here. I’d like to add that, at this price range, the main thing to look for is how the guitar feels when you play it. That - and aesthetics - are the two things you can’t really upgrade. But hardware, tuners, pickups, wiring can all be upgraded over time by you or a luthier. You may have a better guitar if you find one at the lower end of you budget that plays great and use the rest of the money to upgrade, rather than spending it all on the guitar purchase and ending up frustrated.

Trying before you buy is great, just take into account the set-up of the guitar because a lot of stores just slap the guitars on the wall without changing strings, adjusting for change in temp etc.

For buying online just check the return policy. Most online stores are pretty good about this. Just don’t mod it or change strings or anything until you know you won’t return it!

And if you’re unsure about a specific thing on the guitar - fret job, nut, neck joint etc. - ask luthier or a friend who knows more. Or maybe post the question with a pic on here as it seems people are very helpful and knowledgeable in this forum.

3 Likes

The best “shredder” guitar I have found in this price range is the Ibanez RG550 or any of the Genesis series, followed closely by Solar guitars. You can also find many used Prestiges within your range. These all can be considered high range guitars.

Or do you have something different in mind? Yamaha Revstar guitars are also fantastic, for example.

What kind of guitar you want?

2 Likes

I bought my first electric last year it’s a second hand 80s Korean Les Paul i payed £300 for it and really love it, it was well set up the necks great and comfortable, well constructed my only slate on it is the neck p/u which is very nasely but bridge p/u sounds great, once i start progressing i will maybe have a pair of emg pups fitted, rather than by a more expensive guitar as i like it so much.

1 Like

Hi everyone, I once worked in a second hand guitar store. I would say yes $500-$1000 is a good range. Main thing to avoid is the years companies were sold. Gibson 1981, and the last few years- Fender 1984, things like that. Good things are really what you like to play. Do you want a Floyd Rose - active pickups. Then be sure to have a good set up, by a pro if you can find one. Should cost $50-$200 if the frets need to be dressed. One of my favorite guitars was a old Kramer I got for $100 then a setup and swapped out the pickups for Duncan’s and $300 and it’s one of the best guitars ever. I would look at any Ibanez you can afford AZ and artists are great. G&L tribute series are good for the price. Also anything from the Schecter Guitar Research from Korea is worth looking at. The old saying 80% more in price will get 20% more quality. Hope that helps happy shopping!

2 Likes

I really love my Jackson SLX , it even looks good when worn a bit higher like the same position you practice with it on your left leg sitting down. It has a fast thin neck that is quite wide and flat at the high end so you have great Access to higher frets

Dual humbuckers sound much better than HSS to me . The floyd special is quite good and saddles can be replaced with better ones if needed in the future .

I liked it so much I also got the SL Pro.

I too have an epiphone Les Paul which was my late uncles .
They are very good it is from 1996 I have put Slash signature humbuckers in .

I am currently saving and selling stuff towards a Gibson Les Paul.

If you like Gibson type guitars the 2020 epiphone SG standard seems a great deal it has good access to upper frets but still with a more traditional a Gibson appearance ,it looks great in arctic white .

1 Like