Analog Pedal to PC (DAW) for recording

Hi guys,

How can I connect analog pedals to DAW?
I don’t have an amp. Is it possible that I connect the pedals directly to an interface?

Thank you :slight_smile:

Hi,
Some pedals you could do that way… tuner, wah, drop pedal, and I’m sure there are others.
A distortion or overdrive pedal I’m not sure about?
Other pedals like chorus, delay, flanger, etc… you’re probably best to just use some VST’s.

1 Like

Yes you can connect your pedals to an audio interface as long as you can tweak the input gain on the interface and it has an instrument input. Some pedals would not need an instrument input and would be OK with line but better safe than sorry. It also allows you to plug your guitar in direct and do all the signal chain in the DAW with plugins if you want later.

I’ve used this interface for years before switching to one with more inputs:
https://focusrite.com/en/usb-audio-interface/scarlett/scarlett-2i2

With the gain knob and the red led around it, you can adjust it so that there isn’t any clipping at the input and you get a great signal level.

2 Likes

Hi Mark,

do you want to do recordings with that setup or is it just to practice?
Stuff that sounds better in stereo, such as reverbs, flangers, chorus etc. should not be recorded mono. Further more you should try to maintain as much possibilities to adjust the finished recording afterwards.

Wah’s and some other fx with direct influence to your play are of course better to be recorded with the original signal.

3 Likes

Use an interface, an amp simulator and an IR or a cab simulator like the Two Notes Wall of Sound.

I personally use a Yamaha THR10 and a Line 6 Helix, that way I have all that integraded and I just put my pedals in front.

I disagree that stereo effects should ONLY be used in stereo, mono can work just fine. It’s all up to what you need/want.

There are guidelines to the use of pedals, no rules. Same with the pedal order.

2 Likes

Hi Aram,

Sorry for my bad english.

Kindly check this chain.

Analog Pedals > Amp Simulator > Focusrite 2i2 > DAW

Thank you! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes, best is always to try by yourself!
A roomy sound of a stereo signal can as well mess up the mix.
Of course it is in any case good to know, how the sounds are created and it can be helpful to experience the difference between mono and stereo signals from pedals or effects in general.
And it can be annoying to record a magic take and to learn later, that the sound sucks in the mix.

So try, try and try…

1 Like

Don’t worry, english is my second language as well, you are doing great BTW.

Chain looks fine.

May I recommend a small multi fx until you see what kind of effects fit you better?

Take a look at the Line 6 M5. It’s really good stuff and very inexpensive. I genuinely think it is a great way to start trying effects. It only allows you to use one effect at a time, but most of them sound pretty good.

If you are willing to try something bigger let me know as well as how much you are willing to spend and I can give you more options, even with single pedals.

Right now there is a whole world of good pedals for very low prices.

Heck yeah Giorgio that’s an excellent suggestion. It’s like you took the words right outta my mouth lol.

1 Like

Yeah I guess it’s also a matter of preference as well. Stereo sounds more broad and enhances the mid and treble aspects to include dynamic range and mono tone sounds more flat to me and more mid range and less dynamic.

Either way it’s hard to really tell when you have it cranked up really loud. Even with that being said I like to dial everything in so I can hear a pin drop without the ear fatigue or ear ringing for hours on end.

1 Like

Hey mark I went with the focusrite 18i8 and dont regret it it has more ports and not that much cash. I wanted to give myself room to add more instruments.

1 Like