After practicing

Hey guys! Happy New Year! Question: After your practices do you guys go straight into playing songs you know, learn a new song, take a break or go into your seven factors( for extra credit) or create your own riffs? Keep on Riffing!

2 Likes

Hey !

Personnaly, often, i go to the bed after !! Because i play when my kid is on the bed so it’s late.:sweat_smile:

1 Like

I tend to work loose myself on either ideas or a peice I’m learning. During this time I feel at my best and it is fun and exciting to nail the riffs.

1 Like

Solid answers. I’m only asking because of now I’ve been unemployed on and off since March of 2020 so I’ve been taking advantage of Kiko’s course. I’m trying to find a solid way of playing the guitar after my practices (including doing the seven factors).

1 Like

I hate to admit it, but pretty much the only time I practice is if there is a musical idea in my head that I can’t physically execute. I need to break out of that approach – it’s holding back.

1 Like

It depends on my mood. Sometimes compose, sometimes play songs I didn’t play in a while, sometimes read books… etc.

1 Like

I usually don’t. I separate practice time completely from play, creating, recording to mornings before work. I usually look to evenings to play, create and record. Just because of time. This ends up being good before bed…when I am done creating I am usually in a good mood/ state for sleeping.

1 Like

I warm up with a couple slow solos I want to get right (like Time from Pink Floyd, for example), then I do my whole practice session.

Afterwards I continue with the 7 Factor and then some noodling.

This way is always fun for me.

After a serious practicing session (at least playing phases 1 to 3, if not the 4th one) I usually take a break and get a glass of water :sweat_smile: (not that the beer breaks are gone, they just don’t happen after a practice session anymore lol).
But when I do get enough time and ENERGY after a practice session I usually play riffs or songs that I know, I also go through scales… It’s actually quite satisfying to see how the practice session helps me play more “fluidly” (if such a word exists lol).
But I rarely have creative ideas right after a practice session. They usually happen in between sessions or after having tried to improvise over a song or just a rythm (lately I’ve been using an app to program drum tracks and improvise over it… Guess I got a bit bored with the metronome). Actually these ideas often come in the form of exercises… So I end up with extra exercises to practice, and I’m still wondering if this is a distraction from Kiko’s guitar workout or if it helps :thinking:…