What are you listening to?

I recently discovered the album Open Source after getting into Dystopia by Megadeth. I have been exploring different thrash bands and finding stuff I enjoy, Heathen and Testament for ex. But I have really been enjoying the vibe on Open Source, the heavy and the technical instrumental nature of it. Any suggestions of stuff in a similar vain? I’m not into Steve Vai or Satriani or any of that 80’s stuff. Looking for stuff released in the last 10 or so years with modern production standards.

1 Like

I was thinking the same thing. I could think of nothing.

Just like many Shrapnel greats pushing it in the 80s…I think Kiko is burning up his own path and is taking it further.

I think you may enjoy checking Kiko’s back catalog. When I saw it after hearing Open Source I was like “where have I been?” They are not Open Source songs but there is a ton of great music and guitar to take in. If I did not have my hands full with Open Source tab I would be requesting some from earlier CDs.

2 Likes

I recently heard the song “The Craving” from a Dave Mustain creation called MD.45.

Its brilliant. I’m going to try and find some tab for it.

:guitar::love_you_gesture:

John

1 Like

I got introduced to Crypt Sermon recently by a friend, I dig that album:

1 Like

I have been doing some digging , found some great bands. Keywords that have helped are Instrumental Mathcore, Djent, Prog Metal.

My favourites so far have been : The Helix Nebula, Mestis and Jason Richardson

1 Like

I’ve recently been enjoying two albums that you may like.

Welcome to Paradise by Northtale

C.S.I.L by Andy James

Both melodic with virtuoso guitar playing.

2 Likes

The band’s name made me think of this:

Yes, the singer seems to like Mercyful Fate/King Diamond quite a bit… :smiley: But he can pull it off live effortlessly, it was quite a pleasure seeing them in a small club. Mighty tasty heavy metal if you ask me. The album tells a complete story, the booklet contains a full map to the fictional abbey where the story takes place…Pretty rad, methinks! :wink:

1 Like

Intervals

2 Likes

That’s sounds pretty cool! Reminds me of Polyphia.

1 Like

They came up in the mix on spotify and I started listening there after.

1 Like

Leo Fabrizio