Practice Fundamentals -1 nps exercises

Hey all,
Considering Practice Fundamentals - 1 note per string exercises - I am looking for more to use to create variety in practice so got to thinking and landed on memorizing arpeggios and creating my own chord progressions with them.

I learned many patterns years ago but over time it got boring to me. At that time I was more blues focused player and interest was low and I did not have many ideas about how to use arpeggios.

My interests have evolved over the years and now being mostly prog instrumental and rock focused I am going back to them. This time I will determine a chord progression I like and then build it out with arpeggios.

Anyone have any favorite chord progressions they like to translate to arpeggios? I seem to always gravitate to certain sounds. I am looking for ideas from others to look at things differently.

Randy

1 Like

Funny that you mention this type of exercise because I also noticed that this kind of exercise works for me. I’ve used it as a warm up exercise during this last month before discovering this course actually. But the way Kiko shows it in the fundamentals is more effective than what I’ve been doing so far because it forces me to play slower and be more careful with the right hand.

The chord progression I used to do this is a very basic A-A-D-D-A-A-E-D-A-A
But the way I practiced it was by using every octaves, fifth and thirds.
For example… I start with the 5th fret (low E string) then move up to the 7th fret on D string, then from there to the 7th fret A string then 6th fret on G string etc. And once I’m on the 5th of high E string, I go to the 5th of B string THEN 9th fret of high E string.
But… When coming back from there to the low A… I just follow the notes (no skipping).
So when I come back to the 7th fret of the A string, I need to add an extra note : the 7th of D string. And from there I move on to the D chord following the same principle…
The progression from E to D is even easier because being half bars, you don’t need to go back to the low strings. But it’s still good for warming up because once you hit the 12th fret on the high E, you have to reach back to the 5th fret on the A string (and then proceed to the arpeggios in the A shaped D chord) :wink:.

2 Likes

Thanks! I too have had to slow down and force the right hand to behave the way I want. Having strict control of what I am doing is a goal.