Join Unlock Moods and Modes on Guitar Lives!

The stuff he shared in this past two days is quite a handful. I’ve been reading up on harmonic series for hours now. And he mentioned it in the first 5 minutes or so of the first video… :smiley:

4 Likes

Kiko the live series has been great! Can’t wait for the course on it! Teach me Sensei!

1 Like

Here’s the course link for people who were not on the live today!

2 Likes

just signed up! :slight_smile: Looking forward to it.

1 Like

I’m so excited about learning all of these things that for a lot of time seemed so confusing. But I love the way that Kiko approaches this subject and makes it easier for people to learn, especially people that is self taught and don’t have much music theory knowledge like me :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I bought it !! I can’t wait to improve my skill : )

1 Like

I just added 2 new videos to the course, about comparing the modes, more coming later today!

1 Like

Just got the new course! :guitar:

2 Likes

2 more videos on modes are up in the course, more to come today! You’ll notice that we skipped chapter 4, don’t worry it’s coming.
How are you guys doing so far?

1 Like

I’m still on chapter 1 Lesson 3 about memorizing and practicing the 7 shapes which I realized were the 7 modes which I’m getting excited that I am able to recognize the pattern. I feel like this is extra credit while still doing my hour practices, so I haven’t continued further yet until it becomes almost muscle memory.

1 Like

Agreed. As Kiko himself said it may take anywhere from weeks to months. One week in, FAAAAAAR from perfect. :smiley:

3 Likes

Same.

I’m doing the memorization of the shapes. I even take it further. I do some playing on the G major chord for one bar then I improvise for another bar in a randomly chosen shape (or connecting two). At a very comfortable speed yet enough to be a little bit challenging. I’ll keep pushing the improvisation…

But I do this after going through all the shapes in 4 different ways:

1- Each one individually (ascending then discending) in order.

2- Ascending from first one, descending on the second one and so on.

3- Descending from the first one, ascending on the second one and so on.*

4- Randomly choosing a note of the scale on 1st or 6th string then doing the whole shape.

I can tell you things are improving fast.

I don’t want to continue to the next step until all this happens effortlesly.

2 Likes

With the shapes part I am lucky as I’ve been practising those for over a year now, but the challenge for me is to be aware of the exact scale degree and stop on triad/chord tones. As I said: FAAAR from perfect, but it is very rewarding. It already makes the major and minor sound pop out way more then when I was just rushing up and down the scales.

2 Likes

Are the shapes and patterns the same for example if you started on the F#/Gb 2nd fret and do the 7 shapes?

I’m not sure if I’m following you. But if you mean if you are changing the key, then yes, patterns are the same starting from the root. If you start the first shape in F# then all follow the same.

1 Like

I think you answered it correctly. Like what Kiko did with the G Major in the video with the same shape and pattern.

2 Likes

I’m glad I was able to help :smiley:

1 Like

Just a quick update, 3 more videos are up: Mixolydian, Dorian and Aeolian

1 Like

Now I just choose whatever note on the fretboard that belongs to the scale and do one the closest shapes.

I dig it! Soon I’ll try to do full improvisations.

Like I said, things advance fast this way. We will see how things develop when I reach the triads step. But I’m pumped.

@Giorgio Nice! I’m a little afraid of taking a peak though, since Kiko was adamant about not advancing until current course step is properly cleared :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Another big update today, I thing you guys will especially like the video about the importance of the triton!

2 Likes