Checking on people

I’m also trying to not watch so many guitarists online(unless it’s something I’m learning) that will discourage me from practicing. I have to remember how much I improved not just from Kiko’s guitar hack and 7 factors but just in general that I have been able to continue for 15 years and wanting to get better and improve.

2 Likes

Hey! The other day I met a IronMan competidor. You know, 42km running , 100km biking and few miles swimming…unreal…
So he said he uses a simple method. Get a card and write on one side "PRACTICE"and on the other side “How can I make practice enjoyble today?”
Keep the small card in your pocket. Like this you don’t 'forget it. It can be 30min 15min or 1 hour practice routine, but you will never miss it . Mark 30 days. Every time you miss a day or forget the card somewhere you start from day 1.
This was his advice for me when I mentioned I wanted to meditate everyday but I was forgetting to do it. It’s working for me. I think you can apply and never miss a day of practice. Old school but effective. :wink:

6 Likes

nice as a method! I do meditation too and I must admit that I sometimes skip days just by forgetting.
a method to apply for everything in life!
thank you Kiko

1 Like

I’m marking them in my calendar by writing and putting in the time and the exercises. By putting in my work in the calendar shows what I’ve done but also reminds me what I’ve missed if I skipped a day or two. I definitely feel guilty not doing practice.

1 Like

I started a “practice diary”… Again :grin:.
But this time, instead of writing it on a paper that I always end up losing, using a sophisticated app with the time of practice or trying to organize a complex draw with multiple types of exercises…
I just simply opened a “Google sheet” and wrote down a list of dates. So I just have to write in each column, on the same line as the date, what I’ve practiced… It could be a solo, a song, Kiko’s practice routine, or even 1 phase of Kiko’s practice routine, improvisation, fretboard memorizing exercices etc.
I was inspired to do this after watching a Rick Beato video where he explains that one of the reasons for keeping a practice journal or diary is to be able to come back to an exercise you haven’t done in a while and know exactly how long its been since you last did it, at what tempo you did it last time etc.

In terms of motivation… I’m still on the “optimistic wave” of the first two weeks (with a little less motivation last week) because I’m still very aware of the progress this method has helped me to make. Each practice session seems to “wake up” different groups of muscles each time so my motivation is “boosted” after every practice session :muscle:.
This is how I did it so far :
-Week 1 : discovering each phase of the Alternative picking day one, and discovering the forum.
-Week 2 : setting a habit of practicing the day 1 Alternative picking one day and the day 1 Sweep picking the other day. And figuring out the best way to use my apps in the most efficient way possible… As to have the most structured practice routine possible.
-Week 3 : Starting to really apply the practice routine (after having set the tempo 30 bpm slower than what I originally started at the 1st week… Too many mistakes) and slowly increasing the general speed by 3 bpm for each practice of a given “day” (for exemple : Monday : Alternative picking day 1 at 50 bpm, Tuesday : Sweep Picking day 1 at 30 bpm, Wednesday : Alternative picking day 1 at 53 bpm, Thursday : Sweep picking day 1 at 33 bpm, Friday : Alternative picking day one at 56 bpm etc.)

This week, I’ll continue applying this method I used in week 3 but with the addition of Alternative picking day 2.
I’ve decided to leave the discovery of new phases for weekends.

So far, so good… So good! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes