Battle! Axe FX vs. Kemper

Oh I see now brother… Very interesting as I am not to familiar with mixing things down like that. It sounds good after mixing and panning it out like that. I see I have quite a bit to learn on that spectrum…

Thanks for sharing brother!

Frisco

Hey Guys
Axe Fx 3 user here. What a wonderful piece of gear.
Here an example of its tone on a track. All the guitars and Bass are from the Axe.

3 Likes

I would love to try both, but their price is way over my budget. I have started using Bias FX 2 Elite as my amp and effects simulator and I’m happy with it.

2 Likes

I moved from a tube amp (Krank Rev+) to a Kemper last year. I chose that because I don’t use a lot of effects or spend too much time tweaking tones/patches once I have one I like. The form factor (toaster) works really well for me too as it allows me to fit a power strip and my wireless receiver in the back. I have the remote (pedal) for it and two mini expression pedals that I use for volume and wah or pitch. Everything is in the box. For rehearsal/live, I play it through an Orange Pedal Baby and I’ve been happy with that. Everything fits inside the green bag for it, so it’s possible to fly somewhere if needed and take it as a carry-on. I’m sure the Fractal stuff can do similar things, but I really just wanted something that was like an amp. The option to profile one if I’m in a studio and like it, that’s just a bonus. I haven’t used it, though.

This is the tone I have now. The recording has just two rhythm tracks, so you get a good feel for it. There’s a simple outro lead too. The wah and any effects are within the Kemper. The lead sound has a tube screamer type of thing in front of it and maybe light compression. The amp model is based on a Diezel VH-4.

5 Likes

@francoperla144, @ANDREWBULOCK: Really great stuff you are showing here!

I’d love to try an AxeFX someday. Chose a Kemper two years ago and am happy with it so far. Though you still can hear, that it is a Kemper.
But being able to record comfy like that after recording with miked Amps for years… I wouldn’t wanna miss that!

3 Likes

@nilsrocks take a listen to my last video. Bass and Guitars played through AxeFxIII.
What you think about?

2 Likes

@francoperla144 Man this sounds awesome!!!

Great song apart from the pretty good sound!

I’ll definitely give the AxeFX a try on my next visit in a guitar store who sells it!

Thanks for this!! I love it!

1 Like

@ANDREWBULOCK this sounds huge! Great stuff. Is this an 8 strings doing palm mutes at 0:27?

1 Like

@francoperla144 great production and great bass & guitar tones on that video!

2 Likes

Thank you! It’s a 7-string tuned to drop G#. My brain can’t deal with more than 7.

2 Likes

Thanks @Giorgio. Glad you enjoy it​:guitar::guitar::guitar:

1 Like

I have not tried Kemper, but have listened to a ton of comparison videos between it and AxeFx. I don’t think you can go wrong with either option, but like anything else, you get out of it what you put into it. I own and play on an AxeFx II XL with the Aires update and I absolutely love my main distortion patch and it took a significant amount of time to get there. There’s a huge learning curve with these emulators, especially the AxeFx because of all the parameters you can adjust. Now that I have a patch I like, I’ve stopped tweaking so much and just turn it on and jam. I think that’s the ultimate trick, getting a tone that inspires you to play more. Doesn’t matter where the tone comes from. The one thing that really helped me with getting my AxeFx to sound like a real amp in the room was getting a FRFR cab. I tried so many different combinations from studio monitors to power amps and 4x12 cabs but nothing made me feel warm and fuzzy inside until I got the Mission Gemini 2X12 cab. Sounds and feels like a real guitar amp!

I voted for AxeFx because 1- I own one & love it and 2 - you see so many great pro guitar players using them in the studio and on tour.

Great discussion topic. I really enjoy everyone’s insight on this!

2 Likes

:+1: cooL definitely dig it… I like it so much It makes me want to shred all over it… I feel the need for speed :love_you_gesture::black_heart::love_you_gesture:

Riff ~Life :purple_heart:

2 Likes