7 factor has transformed my playing

Been only studying this for about 2 weeks and I feel a huge change in how I look at the neck and what comes out of my hands.

Using suggestions that Kiko spoke about in the last live session. Forcing my self to play out of my comfort zone, different areas of the neck using different positions then my favorite ones. Its made me come out with new phrases without even thinking.

Actually caught my self smiling and laughing because what I hear now is me and all my influences. I’ve been playing a long time and have the technique but now I’m getting the how and why which is getting me off the plateau to the next level. Wish old me would shake younger me and say learn your neck, learn the notes and learn the theory.

So much fun :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Wow! That’s nice to hear @jim.chester! Can you share how you visualize the neck and your practice routine to familiarize the neck? Thanks! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Pretty much what Kiko said to do in the course. Take your time and slowly learn each shape. I mean really learn it not just play through it. Know it absolute. Using the intervals helps. I posted in another spot just move that 1 shape all over the neck so u can see it in different keys. Then stich the shape below and above and just keep expanding it. Use CAGED system to see the chords in the shape, use pentatonic to help reference the diatonic shapes. Also play up and down one string. At least that’s how I’m tackling it and seems to help. Hope I answered your question. Also if you don’t know your notes and what notes are in the scale that helps a lot too.

1 Like

Just started the 7 Factor Course today…i’m hoping this will improve my playing and knowledge of the fretboard, has the modes have always seemed a mystery, to everyone else who have started or finished the course best of luck in your journey.

It absolutely will…just take your time and go through at your own pace don’t rush it. I’m still reviewing the beginning. This course has helped me really understand the modes on a different level. Kiko really explains it well.

As far as fretboard just got to memorize it… Way I learned was the C major scale on every string.
Once you “know” the prime notes just fill in the rest sharps or flats. Try one string a day week month whatever it takes. I would start 6th and 5th strings inside out as they build the rest of the strings.
Also don’t need a guitar for this one visualize it your minds eye. Sitting on the train, stuck at work watching a show (during commercials), singing in the shower…you will be a pro in no time.

Ha,ha thanks Jim i’m looking forward to the challenge and like you say doing it in my own time, i’ve not been playing electric guitar long i have ditched playing Bass and Acoustic to concentrate on Guitar and quite pleased with my progress only snag is i’ll be 60 this year and feel i’ve left it way to late.

I started the course a few weeks ago and it really change the way you look at the fretbord, it takes time and as kiko suggested i want to master one lesson before watching the next. I akternate this with the guitar workout and really feel good about it, in the last year i tried a few teachers i but i got just a bunch of scales and excercices now i feel like i have a progression and i feel like i m really evolving!!! After the lesson on the triad i tried this exercice. Load the backing track of knocking ok heavens door a switch triad on the cord change, later i added some extra note of the major scale tring to “land” on the triad notes and it sounded more organized than the usual random notes i played before the course…i m sure by the end of the course we will be amazed but the results!
Cherrs

1 Like

It never too late to learn anything…Go for it!
Best thing to me about guitar its always different what you can do with it on any given day.

1 Like

Totally agree this feels more organic and feels like I’m making true strides in my understanding of the guitar. Any monkey can imitate and rip scales up and down the neck. It knowing what to do with those scales is the key.

1 Like

There is also another couple of nice game i m using to help learn the notes.
The first one is in the 7 factor course, stop on the triads and you will start by learning those 3 notes.
Anoter one is asking somebody to tell you to find a specific note on a specific string randomly.
As an alternative you can google “on line dice roller”
And the roll a 12 faces dice and a 6 faces dice, the first one represent the notes and the other the string number.

Cheers​:metal::smiley::metal:

Yeah I have been using an app called guitario is really helped me memorize the fretboard.
I’m gonna check this one out too.

2 Likes

I will check guitario​:metal::+1:

Just starting out on my first modules of the 7 Factor Course working through the G Major Scale and started the 7 Modes today and trying some different picking patterns, having a few problems with the CAGED chords…well 2 of them the C and G shape, not really familiar with the system but hearing it…finding it difficult to hold down the C and G shapes and play them cleanly…but the 7 modes are coming on nice just need to memorize them without looking at the tabs i’ve written out.

yeah the G shape is probably the hardest shape out of all of them. C and D are pretty much images of each other. Imagine some said hey the “secret” to guitar is learning these 7 shapes. That and armed with knowledge of what note you emphasis and you will have all these “sounds” at your fingertips.

1 Like

Thanks Jim…learning so much just lately obviously seen the CAGED system on youtube ect in the past but never gave it a second look…but when you look into the different shapes and work out the notes within they are the notes of the Triad…a lot of light bulb moments coming through and i only purchased the course a few days ago, but already seeing the benefits…still a long way to go, but enjoying it.

I am still very new to music theory and after watching Kiko’s videos on all of the intervals I was feeling lost on understanding the differences in each position. Things like position 4/Lydian the only one having the altered 4th and his calling out the notes for the 6th in each position. My brain kept defaulting to the positions of the major scale which define major, minor and diminished chords. Today I decided to create a visual of all the modes along the intervals and had my aha moment when I could visualize the intervals for each mode and compare them. Now when I rewatched the videos I could follow along. I thought this was such a powerful moment for me that maybe someone could use this to help them so I am posting it here. I hope it helps at least one person have the same breakthrough.

The Green are the 1-3-5 triads and the yellow are the other intervals in the mode. Hopefully the image uploads correctly.

Todd

4 Likes

Thankyou, looks useful just downloaded.

1 Like

I think its very useful…one comment is the enharmonic equivalents, theory wise are not applicable.
For instance for Ionain mode Eb (which is the 3rd degree) has to be the minor 3rd its incorrect to call it D#…Technically speaking D# would be an Augmented 2nd since it was raised a half step and D is the second degree.

Same for the instance of G to G# would be a Augmented 5th and Ab would be a minor 6th.
I know the notes “sound” the same and your even playing the same fret this is just strictly sticking to the theory rules.

I was shown like this…

Major down half step become minor
minor down half step becomes diminished

Perfect down half step becomes diminished
Major or Perfect raised half step becomes Augmented
Minor raised half step goes back to Major

Hope this helps and doesn’t add confusion.

1 Like

Hi Jim
You certainly know your stuff, i played Bass for many years before switching to Guitar last year and started studying theory learnt the basics of chord construction, intervals, chord tones ect and took a course a 2 year Bass Mastery Course (wasn’t cheap) but quit after 5 months because i got so bogged down with it and it took all the enjoyment away…like i say i played Bass for many years gigged and thoroughly enjoyed it…but tried to better myself and ended up just hating the instrument…hence the switch to guitar…but find myself doing the same thing again with Guitar this theory overload and seriously have to question myself now…at nearly 60 why this obsession…when i started my musical journey way back in the late 70s i knew nothing yet gigged, enjoyed myself but now it’s like a chore…i doubt my ability and feel i’m wasting my time as i’m probably to old to get better…when we all picked up an instrument it was to learn songs and do some gigs…personally this gives me the most satisfaction still…i am grasping theory but find it so tedious…i think i will take what i can from the 7 Factor Course and try get some enjoyment back as i’ll never be the Rock God i wanted to be as long as i’ve got an hole in my arse…i’m just not good enough.

Now this is something you should forget about, as fast as you can. I was and actually still am struggling with the same mindset. But the thing I realized while following @kiko’s courses, that you are not born to be good enough, but you become good enough.

If someone can learn to speak a language or learn how to operate a computer, then they sure as hell can learn how to play an instrument and apply music theory. Saying that you have to be born to be a good musician is plain stupid. That is some archaic bullshit that I unfortunately encountered too as a kid and it set me back at least a good 10 years. Ayrton Senna had a unique talent for driving cars. Would that mean that unless you’re from his bloodline you cannot learn how to drive? Nobody says that. Most of us have a driver’s licence and are pretty good at driving. Can I be the next Senna? Probably not, but I can be pretty good. Maybe I need to practice more or learn using a different strategy, but that doesn’t change the end result. Music is no different. None of the guitar gods we worship were born with the knowledge they have, not even @kiko. They practiced, studied, worked hard and they became good.

The frustrating part is that when you have to do all this learning and practicing as an adult, we seem to get impatient and second guess ourselves. It’s much easier to do it as a kid, when your brain is a sponge and you don’t have work and family. But it is most certainbly doable as an adult too and we have the benefit of @kiko’s knowledge and expertise being made available to us, presented in a time effective format.

Also, not knowing theory well enough yet shouldn’t keep you from playing. I had a question to @kiko about a F#m7b5 vs Am6 chord. Long story short: I didn’t know the theory well enough and misidentified the chord. Did it matter when I played it it the way I did? No. Sounded the same, no matter the name. I understand your need to know, I have it too. That is why I asked. I am a molecular biologist, worked in research for years and I was taught and conditioned to understand what I was doing, not just on a technical level, but theory wise too. That is the way my brain is wired. I feel more at ease when I know what I am doing. But I try to force myself a bit to just go with the flow. If it sounds good, it is good.

Now all this sounds great, but like I said I still struggle with it myself. I have bad days, I have bad moods and days when I feel like I’m regressing. But this is the mental change I mentioned in the 7Factor testimonial video: I realized all the things I talked about above, I realized that I had a bad mindset about learning and creating music and unless I change my ways, I strip myself of the chance to become better. When I signed up, I was skeptical. “Yeah, well, I got the money, never had any similar experience like this, so why not do it. But I sure as hell don’t belong here, everybody is better than me and I am hopeless anyways”. Not even a year in and I am uploading videos of myself IMPROVISING (you know, the stuff that only Guthrie Govan and Joe Pass can do, not me, the hopeless amateur… :smiley:) and having Kiko Loureiro, an A-list guitar god commenting on my progress… I am not as good as I want to be, I am not always this positive about learning as I seem to be now, but I am able to objectively gauge my progress: I can barely listen to the first improv video I did, whereas the last one turned out to be pretty decent to my ears. I have a logbook in which I track my practice BPMs: “Jeez, I could barely do this at 100 BPM when I started, now it’s 125, no sweat”. These are the kind of positive reinforcements that made me a “believer” so to say.

Take it one step at a time and it WILL work! :metal:

1 Like